Go into 10 different engineering companies and ask questions around how they handle and manage their tools?
Most probably you will receive 10 different answers. Why? Because everybody does it differently.
Not all companies have the possibilities to invest in expensive Tool Management Systems or High End supplier specific Vendor systems.
What is Tool Identification?
Tool Identification is a digital identification solution that can be used for almost anything in the work shop. This solution enables you to know what you have in your hand or in the workshop anytime and anywhere. You could ask yourself “What if I could talk to my tools”?
The technology behind a Tool Identification solution confirms the right item for the job through tags and readers, connecting various extensive cutting tool databases and secure mobile devices. The durable sensor-enabled hardware uses Industrial Internet of Things (IoT) technology to simplify complex tool selection for each operation giving instant access to product data, compatibility checks and remote support. The Tool Identification solution also allows the possibility to share information and important documents to help change tools faster, reduce assembly errors and optimize workflows.
The Tool Identification solution is a sensor-enabled hardware and mobile device system. This retrofit solution converts existing products into smart products through RFID tags and readers.
RFID tags and Reader
The wireless reader is compact enough to scan tags anytime, anywhere. The reader connects to any smartphone, tablet or computer using Bluetooth.
The tags use RFID technology to communicate with the reader and attachable to most metals and machine surfaces. This pea-sized tag is designed for close contact and communicates up to 8mm away from your reader.
The IDEM app connects the tags to a database with a large number of suppliers of cutting tools and tooling systems. The database has over 1 million products and is constantly being updated with more products from more suppliers. The app includes essential product information such as 3D models, compatibility details, product specifications and custom notes by team members. The user can also add and share any comments or documents connected to a physical product. This simplifies communication between users, permitting knowledge and information sharing within the company or a specific organization – all paperless!
The IDEM dashboard.
The MyIDEM dashboard provides total transparency and traceability into data and analytics across all your tagged devices in the workshop. This bird’s eye view of the customer’s tool ecosystem empowers crib operators, manufacturing directors and owners with insights into every aspect of their operation that Tool Identification touches.
- Direct access to online catalogue and user documents, by scanning the product in no time you will have all the information needed displayed on your mobile device, let that be a mobile telephone or a tablet. The system is compatible with any tool supplier available in the database.
- The Tool Identification also gives you access to scan history, so you can see when, where, and by whom the tool was last used.
- With the flexibility of the system you can tag almost anything; you can add pictures, notes, important information and documents.
- With the Collaboration and Group feature you can see any existing comments for a product. This could be for project notes or for asking and answering questions in the workshop. Like that was earlier said “Talk to your Tools”
- Within the system you can communicate with users and tool suppliers through the Support feature, so you can create a request directly from the app. And, because you sent the request from the product page, the product information is automatically sent as well. Less typing, less room for error, copying data from one place to another.
- Easy access, mobility and paperless, the Tool Identification solution works anytime and anywhere and the app is displayable on any device, stationary or mobile, allowing you to get the information needed right at where the tool is located instead of carrying the tool to a specific location on the shop floor. All communication and reporting are online and paperless.
Benefit: Information is available at any time and throughout the facility to suit decisions that are on the go.
Tool Identification connects analog tools to the digital world, allowing manufacturers to become more productive and adaptive offering many benefits:
- Time savings/more efficient use of operator time
- Productivity increase by potentially 30%
- Equipment tracking
- Insights into operations
- Avoidance of mistakes and machine stops/scrap
- Minimizing paper use while allowing effective data sharing between users
- Applicable for any tool in the workshop, regardless of supplier/vendor
- Instant access to comprehensive tool information and data
- Less human input and risk of error requires less time and avoids mistakes.
- Information is available at any time and throughout the facility to suit decisions that are on the go.